As a mountain biking enthusiast, I understand the importance of selecting a bike that can easily meet all of my cycling demands. I want a bike that will cruise across the street at top speed, and then climb a steep hill without breaking a sweat. I want a bike that will gain momentum in a few seconds and then brake with power before I hit an obstacle.
I want a bike that can roll over rocks and roots with no trouble while looking sleek enough to fit in a bike park. I know this is what you want as well; the only problem is that bikes like the one I described above are incredibly expensive.
But what if I could tell you that there are top quality and best mountain bikes under $1000 in 2019. What if I could tell you that you can make a great mountain bike investment without breaking the bank?
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars – Comparison
- 2 Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars – Reviews
- 2.1 1. Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Mountain Bike
- 2.2 2. BEIOU® Toray T700 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike
- 2.3 3. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
- 2.4 4. Diamondback Bicycles 2016 Recoil Mountain Bike
- 2.5 5. 2016 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- 2.6 6. GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
- 2.7 7. Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike
- 2.8 8. Gravity FSX 29 One Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
- 2.9 9. 2016 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
- 2.10 10. Diamondback Atroz Mountain Bike – Nashbar Exclusive
- 3 How to Choose a Mountain Bike Under $1000?
- 3.0.1 First Thing’s First – What Can You Really Expect Within $1000
- 3.0.2 Decide the Type of Bike You Want to Buy
- 3.0.3 Look at How Heavy the Bike is
- 3.0.4 Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000 Should Have fewer Gears
- 3.0.5 Wheel Size
- 3.0.6 Components
- 3.0.7 Check Available Brake Types
- 3.0.8 Suspension
- 3.0.9 Frame Materials
- 3.0.10 Do You Need a Fat Bike?
Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars – Comparison
|Picture||Product Name||Speed||Frame Material||Price|
|Diamondback Sorrento Mountain Bike||7 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|BEIOU Toray Mountain Bike||27 Speed||Carbon Fiber||Check Latest Price|
|Schwinn Protocol Mountain Bike||24 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Diamondback Recoil Mountain Bike||24 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Gravity FSX Mountain Bike||24 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|GMC Topkick Mountain Bike||21 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail||8 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Gravity 29 FSX Dual Suspension Bike||27 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
|Gravity FSX 1.0 Full Suspension Bike||24 Speed||Aluminum||Check Latest Price|
Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars – Reviews
I have spent countless hours on research and analysis to find the top rated mountain bikes available, and finally built a list of bikes. I’m going to review these best of the best bikes, one by one belwo.
1. Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Mountain Bike
If you are an avid mountain biker, you need to get the best bike that will help you adventure in areas where a normal bike cannot.One of the best bikes available on the market that you can give a trial is the Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hard Tail Complete Mountain Bike. This is carefully constructed mountain bike that comes in different sizes to suit the varying body sizes of different people. The bike is easy to assemble, and it will take you relatively less than an hour to put together. With this bike, you can ride on different surfaces confidently and have fun when you are on the go.
This affordable mountain bike boasts of a solid frame design and a suspension fork that makes riding fun. It doesn’t matter how much you weigh; this bike can withstand different weight capacities without the possibility of breaking down. Isn’t that awesome?
Everything about this bike will impress you. Not to mention the great tires, responsive shifting and water bottle mounts.
- Frame options include 14, 16, 18, 20 and 22 inches
- Frame is DB 6061-T6 butted aluminum, with gusset, replaceable hanger
- Suspension is Trail XC front fork with alloy crown 60 mm travel
- Front derailleur is Shimano tourney
- Rear derailleur is Shimano Altus
- Sturdy and affordable mountain bike under $1000Shifting gears is an easy job to take care of.
- A protector guard keeps the chains in place.Tires are suited for long journeys.You have water bottle mounts as well.
- Sorrento doesn’t have any kickstands.Some degree of professional tune up is needed.
2. BEIOU® Toray T700 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike
Finding the right type of bike that is suitable for you can be problematic. For instance, a bike that may be good to a casual rider cannot meet the needs of an expert rider. Bikes are made in different ways. There are those that will offer you with comfort when you are climbing the mountain while others will provide speed.The BEIOU® Toray T700 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike is an exceptional bike that provides the riders with a combination of amazing features and benefits. This entry level bike is made of carbon fiber, which assures you of durability. The bike can take you to places that you never imagined you would go, thanks to its 27 speed SHIMANO 370 BO-CB004.
The handlebars of this mountain bike are flat and provide the best grip when you are on the ride. In addition, the 26-inch wheels make the bike reliable and very stable. This lightweight bike is very comfortable to ride. It also has a nice 3K glossy red finish that makes it very attractive.
- Beiou Carbon bike Shimano M370 ALTUS
- Carbon MTB 27 speed
- Carbon frame handle bar and seatpost
- Suspension fork and Disc Brake
- Roton X5 wheelset and Novatec hubs
- BEIOU Toray has some top class components.
- Solid structure makes it my favorite.You can easily assemble this thing at home.
- Fits riders with different range of heights.
- Affordable Mountain bike for people.
- Wheels come in only one size.
3. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
Schwinn is known for its incredible simplicity, which allows riders to focus on the fun of the ride instead of trying to figure out how the bike works. The Protocol 1.0 bike has been designed with a dual-suspension frame, which is stiff, durable, and light in weight. However, my favorite part of this mountain bike is its 24-speed drivetrain, which includes Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters for easy gear changes.
When you are riding at quick speeds, then you need to be assured that you will stop. It is for this reason that Schwinn has outfitted the men’s bike with Promax brakes, which work well in wet and muddy conditions.
- Wheels size is 26″
- It has Max Front Disc Brake
- Also has Suntour Suspension Fork
- Alloy High Profile Rims also available
- Takes less than 30 minutes to assemble.
- Riding is smooth on the toughest of terrains.
- Ergonomic design keeps the body in right shape.
- Great bike as per performance and price goes.
- Affordable mountain bike for the entusiasts.
- You need to tune the mountain bike.
- Entry Level bike good for beginners.
- Doesn’t come with a water bottle holder.
4. Diamondback Bicycles 2016 Recoil Mountain Bike
Schwinn is known for its incredible simplicity, which allows riders to focus on the fun of the ride instead of trying to figure out how the bike works.The Diamondback Bicycles 2016 Recoil Protocol 1.0 has been designed with a dual suspension frame, which is stiff, durable, and light in weight. However, my favorite part of this mountain bike is its 24-speed drivetrain, which includes Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters for easy gear changes.
When you are riding at quick speeds, then you need to be assured that you will stop. It is for this reason that Schwinn has outfitted the men’s bike with promax brakes, which work well in wet and muddy conditions.
- Wheels size is 26″
- Max Front Disc BrakeAlso has
- Suntour Suspension Fork
- Alloy High Profile Rims
- Comes with durable parts; will serve you for years.
- Front suspension quality is awesome.
- Front and rear disc brakes are great at providing stopping power.
- You can assemble this thing within minutes.
- The wheels roll quicker on the trails and cover more distance.
- I cannot find any faults with this model of Diamondback.
5. 2016 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
The first thing you will notice about the NEW IN BOX Gravity FSX 1.0 is its sleek design. However, beneath all of the great aesthetics you have a bike that will accompany you on all your mountain biking adventures.
So let me tell you a few great things about the Gravity FSX 1.0 mountain bike. Firstly, this entry level mountain bike comes at a dirt cheap price, even though it outclasses all other mountain bikes you will find at your local department store.
The bike also gives you access to 24 quality speeds, which come courtesy of a Shimano drivetrain. This means that you can go as fast as you want whenever you want. But it doesn’t stop there; the NEW IN BOX Gravity FSX 1.0 also has reliable brakes, which will stop you in your tracks in all conditions.
- SunTour long travel Suspension Fork
- Best Quality 24 Speed Shimano Components
- Disc brakes rear and front
- Easy to assamble
- You can assemble and adjust parts at home.
- It is a great bike for beginners as well as moderately experienced riders.
- Gravity has quality materials balancing the aspect of price.
- The design is stylish, durable, and functional.
- 24 levels of speed are enough to give you a taste of the adventure.
- The seat clamp doesn’t adjust beyond a certain point.
6. GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
GMC Topkick Dual Suspension M ountain Bike is renowned worldwide for their monster trucks, but what few people know is that they are also in the business of creating mountain bikes.
One of their popular choices is the Topkick dual suspension mountain bike, which comes with a unique floating beam design. This design is supplemented by a Zoom suspension fork, in order to ensure that your ride is always smooth, stable, and fun. The 21-speed dual suspension bike has a strong aluminum frame, which can withstand impact for amazing durability.
This high-performing frame ensures that you are always supported as you ride, so that you do not return home with sore joints. Furthermore, we have micro shift push shifters, which allow for efficient gear changes as you are blazing across the trails.
These shifters give you the freedom to shift with ease, so that you do not struggle when handling the bike. For extra stability, the dual suspension bike has strong alloy wheels, which allow you to roll over all rocks, roots, and streams without effort.
- GMC has Micro shift push shifters With Shimano TZ-30GS derailleur
- Very easy to assemble
- It has heavy aluminum wheelset featuring V-shape rim profile
- Front and rear Promax disk brakes work great and smoothly
- Shifters work really well and change gears quickly.
- Front and rear suspension work in tandem to make the ride easy on you.
- Disc brakes are great for various weather conditions.
- Assembling this bike is easy.
- You need to adjust the shifters regularly.
- Seat is a bit harder than those on my list.
7. Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike
As with most of the Diamondback bikes, the Overdrive 29 is handcrafted. The Aluminum 6061 T6 makes it a lightweight bike.Also, you have the surround suspension system (front and back) that helps you negating the bumps and hiccups while on the terrain. Along with the SR Suntour suspension, you have 8-speed drivetrain that helps you navigate the rocky terrain of a mountain. Don’t worry about assembling the complex pieces. With Diamondback Overdrive, everything comes within a box, and you can put it together in minutes.
The wheels are also made of aluminum. They are hand crafted as usual. The 29-inch wheels roll quicker on the ground. Also, these things cover more distance by rolling. So, you can go to great distances without pedaling too much. As far as the traction goes, the tires provide maximum traction in all weather conditions and terrain types.
The brakes play a crucial role in this bike as well. You have Tektro brakes that halt your bike or lessen the speed whenever you need them to. These disc brakes provide ample power so that the tires don’t slip up when on an uneven terrain.
- Sturdy design and lightweight thanks to the aluminum and butted design.
- You also have quick maneuverability and swift speed levels with this mountain bike.
- Diamondback Overdrive seat is wide and comforts you when you are in need of it most.
- The wheels have a large radius to cover more ground.
- Butted design helps you to keep your balance intact.
- You’ll need frequent upgrading.
8. Gravity FSX 29 One Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
There are so many different types of mountain bikes, which come with different features as well as advantages. Selecting the right bike can be challenging, especially if you are buying the bike for the first time.This is because you need to pay attention to several things like the brakes, wheels, suspension, gears and the overall design among others. For the best riding experience, it is important to invest your money in purchasing a quality bike like the Gravity FSX 29 One Dual Suspension Mountain Bike. This bike is made with an advanced aluminum frame to provide durability. The dual suspension system makes the bike stand out from other models on the market. This makes it very easy to ride on pavements and other surfaces outdoors.
On top of that, the bike features a powerful disc brakes and a wide Shimano Deore27-speed drivetrain for a smooth shifting when you are on tough terrains. This is an incredible mountain bike that you should look forward to having for enjoyable riding moments.
- Dual Suspension
- Aluminum Frame
- Lockout rear shock
- Shimano Deore 27 Speed
- Sturdy but lightweight bike.
- Performance is a lot better compared to the price.
- Assembly of this bike is easy. It comes 80% assembled.
- Brakes are pretty reliable.
- It doesn’t have any kickstand.
- The wheel base is pretty short.
9. 2016 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
Riding bikes is a common thing among many people. For instance, you can use your bike when you are going to work, school, visiting a friend, to keep fit or just for recreational purposes.Riding is a very interesting activity but only when you have the right bike. Not all the mountain bikes you will find on the market will deliver the comfort and performance you are looking for. With the 2016 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike, you can take your riding experience to the next level. This 2016 model has been designed bearing the riders in mind. It features high-quality components that contribute to memorable biking experiences.
The bike brags of the CantiBeamSinglePivot technology include on the frame of the bike. Moreover, when you need to make a sudden stop, the powerful brakes ensure that you overcome the obstacles on the road perfectly well. You will also appreciate the 24-speed drive train that offers you with effortless shifting. There is also a front and rear derailleur to provide smooth gear changes.
- Strong and Durable
- Easy to Use Shifters
- Adjustable Suspension – Front and Rear!
- Assembly Required
- It comes with a minimalistic design.
- Riding and operating this bike is easy.
- Gears give you wide range of speeds.
- Lightweight and suitable for all types of terrains.
- Tires could do with upgrading.
10. Diamondback Atroz Mountain Bike – Nashbar Exclusive
Mountain bikes are very essential for riders who love to explore and adventure. When you have the right bike that can withstand any terrain, you can ride for long distances and find what the nature has to offer.There are different things that people look for when they are purchasing the right bike. Many people will concentrate on the size, quality, price and ease of use among other important factors. Have you tried the Diamondback Atroz Mountain Bike? This is an incredible mountain bike that is comfortable and provides extensive performance. This bike comes with a full-suspension system and 650B tires that work together with the 27.5-inch wheels to provide you with the best riding experience.
As an entry level bike, this bike offers a lot more as compared to other types of bikes. The design of the bike is impressive. It is made of a very rigid material making it lightweight. This helps you to ride the bike with ease.
Another great thing that makes this bike a choice for many people is the 120 mm front travel. This gives you the opportunity to ride when you are relaxed. In addition, the presence of a rear shock absorber ensures that you get a smooth ride as you ride up or downhill.
- Full suspension and 650B tires
- 27.5-inch wheels
- Rear derailleur (SRAM X7)
- Maximum gear ratio for this bike is 30/11
- The aluminum frame makes it a lightweight bike.
- Rear suspension makes it ideal for rough terrains.
- Gear components work great for you to glide through the trails.
- The customer service of Diamondback is awesome.
- This is the “Go to” bike for long rides.
- It is an “Entry Level” bike.
How to Choose a Mountain Bike Under $1000?
When you are out to shop for mountain bikes (be it online or at the stores) you come across many brands that look and feel right. But are they really? If you do a thorough checking, you’ll discard 90% of the choices you made.
If you don’t know what to look for in an ideal bicycle for you, it’ll be like searching for a bike within a pile of bikes. So, let us find out the key features we need to know so that we can choose the top mountain bike under $1000 without spending too much time.
First Thing’s First – What Can You Really Expect Within $1000
As it turns out 1000 bucks are not a lot when it comes to mountain bikes. But ten bens are not “That” low when it comes to affording quality products. When you calculate your moves, you can get yourselves a perfect “Mid-ranged” mountain bike.
Mountain bikes at this price will handle the job. You won’t get high-end components as a part of the package, but you can ride for years with proper maintenance. Also, the bikes will be lightweight. Most will have an aluminum frame.
Again, many would argue that this is a compromise on durability. But, in my own experience, I prefer fast and lightweight bikes. With proper care, my bikes would last for five to 7 years anyway.
One thing is for sure. If you want a bike that will get you by and enhance your skills, at below $1000, you’ll most certainly have plenty of options to pick from. These bikes are beginner-friendly and will satisfy your urge for thrill and adventure.
Decide the Type of Bike You Want to Buy
If you are browsing online to find the best mountain bikes under $1000, you’ll see that majority of the bikes are all hardtails. They have only front suspension. Full suspension bikes have suspension forks at front and back.
Now, you have fans of both the categories. But considering the full suspension bikes carry more weight and you are riding on rough, uneven, and steep terrain; lighter hardtail bikes are more feasible than their full suspension counterparts.
Don’t go for the third type. That is a rigid bike. These don’t have any suspension. I am not a big fan of absorbing vibrations and jerks of the road myself. I wouldn’t advise it for my readers either.
Look at How Heavy the Bike is
The weight of a bike is important due to a lot of reasons. A lightweight bike would mean you have more speed and greater maneuverability. The closer you get to the $1000 mark; you will have a more lightweight bike. The price goes down, and you have heavier and heftier bikes to contend with.
Many would say heavier bikes are great because they are durable. But my inclination remains towards lightweight mountain bikes. Aluminum frames are common in the mid-ranged bikes. They make the hardtail bikes weigh around 30 lbs mark. That is ideal. These bikes are sturdy too since in most cases, 6061 butted aluminum construction makes these things as sturdy as it gets. So, this is a nice balance.
Yet, you’ll have feathery mountain bikes that are “Super Light” with carbon frames. Again these will cost you more than $1000 dollars. So, we are not delving into them.
Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000 Should Have fewer Gears
I can see people frowning when they are reading this. I mean, 24 gears are better than having 10 or 11. At least that is what your common sense will tell you. But you are missing an important point.
With more gears, you’ll need to swap between big and small chains more at the front while riding up the hill. Pretty quickly, you’ll find that it gets annoying. Even with long gear spans, you cannot use these gears intuitively. Especially when you are considering 3 gears at front and 9 at the back format.
With lower gears, you can do crisp gear changing and do it at a quick rate. I’d advise you to focus on your rear derailleur and get a bike with 2X10 gear format for the job.
Wheel size is one of the most important mountain bike choices you will have to make. There are 3 main options, including 29-inch, 27.5-inch, and 26-inch wheels. 29-inch wheels are the largest, and they will roll over obstacles without trouble.
On the other hand, 26-inch wheels are small and nimble, allowing you to navigate through tight corners with ease. If you have trouble choosing between a 26er and 29er, then go with 27.5-inch wheels which are the best of both worlds. BikeRadar has a very detailed guide about the wheel size, you may check it out here.
If you have trouble choosing between a 26er and 29er, then go with 27.5-inch wheels which are the best of both worlds. BikeRadar has a very detailed guide about the wheel size, you may check it out here.
When selecting a mountain bike, it is important to ensure that it has been built with quality components-this ensures durability and performance. My advice is to always go with Shimano components, as they have been proven to be of high quality.
Check Available Brake Types
When we discuss brake types, there are either disc brakes or rim brakes available at this price. Disc brakes work by applying pressure on the rotor on top of the wheel. You get either hydraulic or cable operated disc brakes. These are great when you consider muddy and rough terrains and wet weather conditions.
The Rim brakes are suitable for “Entry-level” bikes with even lower price range. These brakes are easy to inspect compared to the disc ones. Yet, these things wear out faster. My vote is to go for the bikes that have disc or mechanical brakes.
If you plan on riding over rough terrain, then you need a mountain bike suspension that will absorb shock and maximize control. I would recommend a full suspension bike for the roughest of terrain, though hardtail bikes will still perform well on dirt trails.
When selecting a mountain bike, you will have the option of going with an aluminum, carbon, steel, or titanium frame. Carbon fiber and titanium frames are rare to find mountain bike under 1000, making aluminum your next best option. Aluminum frames are strong, durable, affordable, and lightweight, making them a good option for you.
Do You Need a Fat Bike?
I’ll leave the decision to you. However, the standard width of a mountain bike tire is two inches at most. 4 – 6 inches’ width on tires will look ridiculous. Extra width slows your hardtail bike down. However, if you want a hardtail for casual mountain riding, you can opt for a fat bike. It is a fun thing to have. Otherwise, I’d advise riders to get a “Full On” mountain bike with thin wheels.